The Lead Line Cook position will primarily focus on preparing, seasoning, and cooking dishes such as soups, meats, vegetables, or desserts in the restaurant. May order supplies, keep records and accounts, price items on menu, or plan menu and provide departmental training and development and maintain employee related suggestion and recognition programs. Additional duties can include, but not limited to assisting with new hire orientation, recruiting, benefits, wellness, and employee safety.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Self-Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Leadership — Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Social Orientation — Job requires preferring to work with others rather than alone, and being personally connected with others on the job.
- Achievement/Effort — Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
- Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Persistence — Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles
- Train workers in food preparation, and in service, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Supervise and participate in kitchen and dining area cleaning activities.
- Estimate ingredients and supplies required to prepare a recipe.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding food service.
- Control inventories of food, equipment, small ware, and liquor, and report shortages to designated personnel.
- Purchase or requisition supplies and equipment needed to ensure quality and timely delivery of services.
- Observe and evaluate workers and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service, and complete disciplinary write-ups.
- Specify food portions and courses, production and time sequences, and workstation and equipment arrangements
Detailed Work Activity
Getting Information — Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Follow recipes
- Read work order, instructions, formulas or processing charts
Judging the Qualities of Things, Services, or People — Assessing the value, importance, or quality of things or people.
Guiding, Directing, and Motivating Subordinates — Providing guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Assign work to staff or employees
- Monitor worker performance
Making Decisions and Solving Problems — Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events — Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
- Identify cut or grade of meat
- Recognize customer intoxication
- Understand government health, hotel or food service regulations
Training and Teaching Others — Identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
- conduct training for personnel
Coordinating the Work and Activities of Others — Getting members of a group to work together to accomplish tasks.
- Direct and coordinate activities of workers and staff
- Direct and coordinate food or beverage preparation
Coaching and Developing Others — Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
Performing for or Working Directly with the Public — Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards — Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Inspect facilities or equipment for regulatory compliance
- Oversee work progress to verify safety or conformance to standards
Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Modify work procedures or processes to meet deadlines
- Plan menus
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings — Monitoring and reviewing information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems.
Developing and Building Teams — Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members
Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material — Inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects
Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others — Handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Resolve customer complaints
- Resolve or assist workers to resolve work problems
Thinking Creatively — Developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
- Arranging, decorating or garnishing food items
- Decorate cakes
- Develop new menu items
Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
Monitoring and Controlling Resources — Monitoring and controlling resources and overseeing the spending of money.
- Requisition stock, materials, supplies or equipment
- Monitor and control food waste
Handling and Moving Objects — Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things.
- bake breads, rolls, or other baked goods
- cook meals
- knead, shape, cut, or roll food products by hand
- mix ingredients according to specifications
- perform a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking
- use knives
Estimating the Quantifiable Characteristics of Products, Events, or Information — Estimating sizes, distances, and quantities; or determining time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity.
- Cook in quantity
- Estimate materials or labor requirements
Scheduling Work and Activities — Scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
- schedule employee work hours
Processing Information — Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data.
- Investigate customer complaints
- Measure or weigh ingredients for food preparation
Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge — Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Use knowledge of food handling rules
- Use oral or written communication techniques
Controlling Machines and Processes — Using either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes (not including computers or vehicles).
- operate baking equipment
- operate cooking equipment
- operate food decorating equipment
- operate food preparation equipment
- use specialized bakery equipment