Seeking a quality minded individual capable of running an active cellar while maintaining a high level of organization and cellar hygiene. Preference will be given to someone possessing experience supervising/managing a team of cellar workers, preferably in a multi-client winery setting.
Executes cellar and crush processing activities, finishing operations, inventory functions, and directs/mentors full time and seasonal staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities as necessary:
• Supervises all cellar functions including but not limited to grape receiving/grape processing operations at harvest, blending, racking, sanitation, barrel procedures and barrel maintenance, pre-bottling preparations such as fining and filtration, equipment maintenance, and forklift operations.
• Works closely with winemakers to ensure proper implementation of winemaking guidelines and quality control procedures. This may include: writing and maintaining cellar records/keeping and assisting with barrel and bulk inventory, and maintaining/some ordering of cellar supplies.
• Operates forklift and all winery processing equipment.
• Directs the work of the cellar crew in all activities of winemaking. Schedules and tracks workflow
• Monitors performance of cellar crew ensuring cellar personnel follows winemaking guidelines/provides instruction, training, assistance and feedback to cellar workers.
• Ensures staff follow safety guidelines, procedures and wearing of personal safety equipment.
• Build and maintain a culture of safety within the company.
- Participate in periodic reviews and provide ongoing constructive feedback of job performance of cellar personnel.
EDUCATION TRAINING AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Knowledge of wines and wine production.
- Minimum three harvests/two years’ production cellar experience, preferably 40K + case setting
• Minimum three years forklift experience, previous certification
• Experience constructively supervising and motivating team members
• Commitment to excellence and high standards. Proactive problem solver
• Excellent written and oral English communication skills. Spanish language skills a plus.
• Confident working around cellar equipment and performing cellar duties and tasks
• Strong organizational and analytical skills. Ability to prioritize thoughtfully and manage workflow.
• Adept at managing multiple competing and/or changing priorities
• Good judgment/ability to make timely and sound decisions. Deal with stressful situations calmly
• Ability to understand and enforce safety requirements and cautions
• Ability to perform the necessary physical labor to get the job done
Experience in mechanical repair and preventive maintenance of winery equipment preferred
- Familiarity with manufacturing plant concepts (refrigeration/glycol systems, electrical, etc.) helpful
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Walk, kneel, bend, and stand for long periods.
• Climb stairs and ladders, sometimes carrying buckets. Lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
• Vision abilities including close/distance/color/peripheral vision, ability to focus and perceive depth
• Have no allergies or restrictions that would preclude safely handling common wine additives, and/or cleaning chemicals routinely present in an operating winery
• Work in changing temperature environments (hot to cool), around moderate noise levels and in tight spaces on occasion
Salary- Depends On Experience